General Admission & Discharge Information
- Visiting Hours: 11.00am – 8.00pm daily - Please see additional COVID19 restrictions below.
The above visiting hours are flexible to meet the needs of the patient, please speak with a staff member. For Paediatrics or those with special needs family and carers are encouraged to stay with the patient and this includes overnight if required.
- Discharge time: 10am daily
- Reception: Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm
- Free parking is available in Farrell Street
- In the interests of good health and patient safety, Glenelg Community Hospital is a ‘No Smoking’ facility.
- All persons entering the building are required to check in via QR code or sign in sheet and are required to wear a surgical mask.
- All patients are asked at their pre-admission phone call appropriate screening questions. If you are deemed to be at risk due to symptoms or other information you provide, you will be prevented from entry to the Hospital.
- The patient should be the only person entering the Hospital at the time of Admission (unless they require a carer).
- Remember hand hygiene is important. Please use the available hand sanitiser stations at the entrance and throughout the Hospital
Current Visitor Restrictions:
(Requests for visitors outside of these guidelines will be considered on a case by case basis)
- Maximum of two visitor per patient at a time
- All visitors must show proof of being fully vaccinated. Where a visitor has recently been interstate we will follow the SA Health guidelines.
- No children (under the age of 12 years old) are permitted to visit.
- Visitors must wear a surgical mask at all times whilst in the hospital, including in the patient room.
- Visitors to remain within the patient room.
- Social distancing must be maintained.
Admission times to Glenelg Community Hospital will vary as arranged by your doctor at the time of booking your stay with us. To avoid admission delays, we request that you start the admission process as soon as possible. Please register or sign in here: GCH Online Admission
Pre Admission Clinic is conducted for all major surgical procedures by our experienced staff at no cost to you.
The Pre Admission Co-ordinator will contact you to arrange an appointment time prior to the date of surgery. Questions you may have about the procedure will be answered and your current medications and medical history will be discussed.
Click here to download our Pre-Admission Clinic Information Pack for you to look over prior to your appointment and come with any questions you may have. You will receive a hard copy of this information at your appointment also.
Referrals for Meals on Wheels, Council assistance and equipment services, may be organised, if relevant.
Referrals for personal care assistance at home, including physiotherapy, may be organised depending on your Health Fund eligibility. More information about this will be given at your Pre Admission appointment.
Do not eat or drink anything, including water, from the time advised by your surgeon.
Avoid smoking 24 hours prior to your surgery.
Local calls are free of charge, however you will be billed for calls to mobile phones, interstate or overseas, upon your discharge.
Your hospital account will be forwarded directly to your health fund. Following discharge you may receive several accounts for surgical or allied health.
Out of pocket expenses may include:
- Discharge Medication
- Hire of Equipment
- Funding gaps
These charges are payable by you on discharge from the hospital.
Please note: Patients with an excess or co-payment as part of their health insurance cover will need to pay this prior to admission.
Self-Insured patients are required to pay an estimate of the cost in advance. This must be arranged prior to admission. Please contact Reception (Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm) to discuss on (08) 8294 5555.
To avoid unexpected out of pocket expenses, we advise you to contact your health fund to check your level of cover and to discuss the potential expenses with your doctor prior to admission.
Glenleg Community Hospital accepts cash, bank cheques, money orders, EFT, eftpos, Visa and MasterCard for any amounts payable. Amex, Diners, personal or business cheques will not be accepted.
Glenelg Community Hospital offers meals that are delicious, nutritious and in compliance with your dietary requirements. If you have any special requests, please feel free to contact one of our friendly catering staff who will wherever possible, accommodate your requests.